Image and video hosting by TinyPic

November 19, 2007

Sunday Night in L&D

What a crazy weekend we had! On Friday morning I woke up with some "odd" cramps in my lower back that were wrapping around to my right side. I figured the best place for me to be if something was wrong was at work (the doctor's office) so I headed off. The cramping came and went all day, but we were so busy it was easy to ignore it. That evening we headed off to Crystal and Ryan's to prep for tailgating and the final Iowa game the next day. I went to bed early (yep, I'm a party pooper) and woke up the next morning feeling about the same.

Saturday afternoon the pains got slightly worse, but I still didn't think a whole lot of it. Upon waking up Sunday, though, the pain was continuing to get worse. I finally called the OB and after a few calls back and forth we decided it would be best if I went into Labor and Delivery to be monitored. Baby girl did NOT like that darn heartbeat monitor and so was moving like crazy and kicking right at it, I think! Fortunately, we weren't having any contractions and her heart rate was perfect. They did a bunch of lab work and cultures and we are still waiting on a couple of those to come back, but so far so good. After talking to Dr. Brink (the OB on call) we decided it was probably safe to head home with a diagnosis of a swollen kidney on the right side. Turns out a lot of pregnant women get this, but most never realize it. Apparently, since baby girl has less room to grow with my short stature I'm just more likely to notice it. Unfortunately, Tylenol and a heating pad are all we can do for it right now. We will have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse, but for now all is good again. I'm still hurting, but knowing that its not something that will put the baby in any danger really helps calm my nerves about it.

So, baby is good, we got to hear the heartbeat again, and mom is hurting, but surviving. I'm just gearing up for the fact that it only gets worse from here!! Good thing she will be worth it all in the end, right?!

Love,
LuCinda

No comments: