We just finished up the most amazing weekend! We were busy, but spent lots of time focusing on family and sharing our talents.
Friday evening Sophia got to go to the circus with the Petersons and I left Collin and Brad at home to head in to school and count PTO fundraising money. Six hours later we had most of it counted. I can't wait to be able to share fundraising totals once everything is accounted for. I didn't make it home until after midnight!
Saturday morning Brad, Collin, and I got up bright and early and headed up to Perry to watch Harper and Hailey play soccer (and pick up Sophia). It was a beautiful morning for soccer as it was just a tiny bit chilly, but the sun was strong. Both girls played really well and I was so glad we were able to make it.
After we got back to Waukee my mom and I gathered up my sewing machine and a few supplies and headed to the local catholic church, where several churches were teaming up to sew cloth diapers that are shipped overseas to poverty stricken countries. We both LOVED the experience and hope to go back again soon. It was so nice to get to sit side by side with my mama and do something I love while also helping others.
Once our sewing was done (we worked for two hours and were the last two working when we had to shut down so they could prep for Saturday mass) we headed back home to let the kids open their Christmas presents from "close" grandma. We chose to get them outside toys this year and decided together that they should open them now for two reasons. 1. So grandma could see their reactions and 2. so they could start enjoying them right now while the weather is still nice. They were thrilled with their gifts and played on them all afternoon!
We finished up Saturday with homemade broccoli cheddar soup in fresh baked bread bowls. What a perfect ending to a fall Saturday.
Sunday was another wonderful day with Sunday School and church, followed by lunch, and then more time spent as a family while Sophia and I sewed bags for church and Brad and Collin hung out helping us and watching football. I must admit I had a misty eyed moment sitting there with Sophia on my lap while she sewed her very first bag all on her own and we talked about how I learned to sew the exact same way, sitting on my mom's lap. I also snuck in a run and meeting at church in the evening and then we all cuddled up to watch America's Funniest Home Videos, which takes me right back to Sunday nights growing up.
Some days I am bad at forgetting to slow down and enjoy the moment, but this weekend felt like the perfect balance of appreciating our time together while still staying busy. These are the weekends I know we will cherish when the kids are off on their own adventures and its just Brad and I left at home reminiscing.







No comments:
Post a Comment