Image and video hosting by TinyPic

April 17, 2008

Three weeks old!

Since I have been on the phone with all of you so much lately I have once again slacked off on the blog. In my defense, though, I have had my hands sort of full! :-)

Since I haven't had a chance to write down the details on here I'm going to start from D-Day and update through today, one day before Sophia's 3-week birthday.

Sophia was born at 9:08 on Friday, March 28 by cesarean section. She weighed in at 7 pounds 15.4 ounces and was 19 inches long. Dr Hoegh said there was no way she was coming on her own so its a good thing we planned the c-section for when we did or we would have had a huge baby on our hands. Seeing her for the first time was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and all the aches and pains of pregnancy were definitely worth that moment. And watching Brad hold her that first time was just amazing. As corny as it is, it really did make me fall even more in love with him. The way he has taken on being a daddy has just amazed me--He is just so good with her already.

My recovery has been surprisingly easy, I think, other than the complication of having an extremely sore backside for the first two weeks from being stuck in bed for 12 hours in one position. I really expected to be in more pain than I was and am now back to my normal self functionality-wise. Now if I can just reclaim my stomach I'll be a happy camper!!

All of Sophia's exams have been perfect other than the fact that she is a bit slow at gaining back the weight she lost in the hospital. When we came home on March 31 she was at 7 pounds even and at her 2-week appointment she was only up to 7 pounds 5 ounces so Dr. Beebe felt it was time to start supplementing with formula until I could build up my supply a little more. I have been diligently nursing, supplementing, and pumping this week to work on getting that supply to its peak and am already seeing an increase, thankfully.

We go in again this afternoon to put her on the scale so we can see if she's gaining at a quicker pace. I'm absolutely sure she has gained, but keep reminding myself that I was also a slow gainer and was always a "featherweight" according to my mom. I figure I turned out pretty darn healthy in the end so I'm not going to worry myself too much if she isn't turning into a chunky monkey quite yet.

We have had two really good nights of sleep in a row now (keeping fingers crossed) going to bed around 10 or 11 and waking up only at 3:30 or so to nurse. Then we sleep in again until 8-9, thank goodness!!

Sophia really is a good baby, especially considering she is our first and we have NO clue what we are doing and are just trying to learn it as we go.

Okay, there are my updates. I will try to get a quick blurb on here after her appointment to get her new weight recorded. We are also going to be speaking with Pastor Tom in the near future about baptism so I will keep all of you updated on the possible dates for that.

Thank you all again for all your help and warm wishes. The Lord has truly blessed us with a beautiful, healthy baby girl and such amazing family and friends.

Love,
LuCinda

No comments: