Image and video hosting by TinyPic

March 7, 2012

Donating Milk

After Sophia was born I was determined to breastfeed, but terrified it wouldn't work out.  I was blessed to be able to do it, but I struggled for every last drop of milk I was able to produce and had to supplement one bottle a day with formula.  I had a detailed routine of Fenugreek (an herbal supplement to increase supply), lots and lots of oatmeal, pumping around the clock, and drinking enough water to float a boat.

When Collin came around I was so lucky not to have supply issues again.  I don't have a crazy big supply, but was able to pump twice a day and build up quite a freezer stash "just in case".  After a couple months I realized I just wasn't going to need the stash so I started donating through Human Milk For Human Babies.  It felt so good to be able to help out a mom struggling with her supply the way I did with Sophia.  Then our beautiful Goddaughter, Bentley, entered the world and her mommy started the struggle with supply issues.  She fought even harder than I did (and I'm not sure I could have put in all the work she did) but in the end nature won out and she just didn't have enough.  But God had a plan, that fabulous freezer stash of mine not only was going to go to good use, it was going to go to a family that I love like my own.  Okay, even more than my own some days!  So thanks to my wonderful in-laws we have started a milk transport from Des Moines up to Hospers with empty coolers coming down and full ones going back up.  Bentley is thriving mostly due to her wonderful, loving parents, but I like to think also at least in part to my extra "mommy milk" as Sophia calls it.  I can't think of anyone I'd rather help out and I'm also getting a chance to show Sophia how great it feels to give of yourself.  Sure, some days I'd love to toss the pump in the trash and never look back, but each time I see Bentley's beautiful face I know its all worth it and its a true labor of love.  

So, if you are one of the lucky mom's out there who has an freezer stash you won't be using please consider donating.  Or, if you are one of the mommy's struggling, know that there are resources out there to get milk that won't break the bank the way a commercial milk bank will.  

And, if you ever wondered what 600+ ounces of frozen milk looks like, here you go:


In the end I've pumped and donated over 1500 ounce so far and have no intention of stopping any time soon!  

2 comments:

The Family said...

LOVE THIS! The post for awareness AND the wonderful thing you are doing for others. I never had a supply issue with Ellie (opposite in fact), so I cannot imagine the struggle a Mom must go through when there isn't enough and they really want breast milk for their baby (and I hope I don't find out the other side of things in a few weeks). And thanks for the link to HM4HB--- when I looked into donating extra milk through a difference source last time there was such a process that I didn't take the time to do it. This seems much more realistic.

Sydney said...

Great post. I am so thankful to read about a mom who struggled with supply the first time and not the second. I really hope I can follow in your footsteps, and I will absolutely look into donating if that is the case!