At about 3:30 yesterday afternoon I went to run to our basement to quickly grab a gift bag to load up with goodies for a March of Dimes bake sale I offered to contribute to. Instead of a cute little bag I found a puddle at the bottom of the stairs. I thought it was odd, but figured one of the kids somehow spilled and I had missed it. Nope, instead I discovered that our sump pump was not working and both utility/storage room floors were covered in water. By 4:30 the entire carpet was soaked and it was seeping into the furniture, bookcases, and walls. By 5 Brad and I had all the little stuff out and by 7 we had the basement completely emptied thanks to the help of some amazing friends. Another friend loaned us a water pump that conveniently hooked up to a garden hose and emptied the water directly onto the street for us. It took all night, but the pit where our sump pump sits is now empty again. The "disaster recovery" people are supposed to be coming today to take over where we left off.
It wasn't exactly the workout I was expecting last night, but I'm definitely sore today! All I can think of is how grateful I am that we have insurance and how much worse it could have been. Now on to the task of trying to bring some semblance of organization to my main floor. Its amazing how much we had in that basement!

1 comment:
Thank goodness for insurance! You hope you never need it, but if you do it is a lifesaver! If you need a place to store items, you know where we live.
Post a Comment