Last Sunday I woke up with a sore throat. As the day went on my throat got worse and I added a horrible headache to the mix. By Monday morning I was absolutely miserable and headed to the doctor assuming I had strep throat. My strep swab came back negative, though, so we figured it was a virus and I would be better within 24-48 hours. Unfortunately, my symptoms just continued to get worse. By Monday evening I couldn't move without wincing and every sound put me on edge. Tuesday was much of the same, but Wednesday I felt slightly better so headed out to two appointments that were difficult to reschedule. Unfortunately, around lunchtime my jaw started to swell and I was feeling worse again. Another trip to the doctor resulted in a second cheek swab, this time for a possible case of mumps, and lots of blood work. I went back to bed and didn't get out again until Thursday afternoon. Friday was slightly better and on Saturday I FINALLY started to feel human again. This Sunday I managed to get out of bed and ready for church, but came home exhausted from that effort. Thankfully yesterday (Monday) I was back to normal enough to resume most of my essential activities, including watching the kids, cooking, and running a couple of easy errands. I still tire ridiculously easily, but I am hoping by the end of the week I will be back to normal. I have vowed to skip the workouts this week and take it easy on cleaning to give myself some extra time to recuperate.
My mumps results finally came back today and showed no active virus. The rest of my blood work looks normal for me as well. So, what did I have? Your guess is as good as ours! Educated sources say it was most likely some mystery virus that just took me by storm. All I know is I hope I never get it again and I pray no one else does either, because laying in bed on a liquid diet for a full week is no fun at all! I slept 15-20 hours a day and didn't even have the energy to watch movies or read. Thank Heaven for my mom jumping in and taking over on cooking, cleaning, and childcare duties or I'm not sure how we would have survived.

No comments:
Post a Comment