Image and video hosting by TinyPic

October 19, 2011

Banana Cream Pie

Today Sophia and I made a banana cream pie.  I often make a "cheater" pie with premade graham cracker crust, quick banana pudding, and whip cream.  This time, though, we made all but the crust from scratch.  The recipe came from the famous Beltman Cookbook with a few alterations to make it dairy free.

3/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/4 t salt
2 c milk (coconut milk for me)
3 beaten egg yolks
2 T butter (butter-flavored Crisco)
1/2 t vanilla

In pan combine sugar, flour, and salt.  Gradually stir in milk.  Cook and stir until bubbly.  Boil 2 minutes.  Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into yolks, then add yolks into all of hot mixture in the pan.  Cook 2 more minutes stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.

Layer bananas in prebaked crust (I used one large banana quartered and sliced).  Then pour over cream mixture.  Allow to set up in fridge.  Ours only cooled three hours, but was just perfect.

Brad and I each enjoyed a piece for dinner and fought the urge to eat a second immediately.  I guess I know what we will have for a bedtime snack tonight, though!

No comments: