Image and video hosting by TinyPic

October 5, 2012

New Fall Recipes

I'm still trying new recipes left and right, at least one per week usually, but these last two just scream fall to me and were both excellent so I thought I'd share.  

ACORN SQUASH SOUP
1 onion (I did 1/2 of a very large onion)
1/2 cup chopped celery (I did three stalks)
2 T butter 
2 T all purpose flouer
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp dill weed
1 dash Cajun seasoning
2 cups chicken broth
12 ounces evaporated milk (I did 10 ounces almond milk)
3 cups acorn squash, cooked and mashed
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preparation: 
In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter.  Stir in flouwer, bouillon, and seasonings until blended.  Gradually add broth and milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Add the squash and heat through.  
In a blender, process the soup in batches until smooth (don't forget to vent your lid).  Pour into bowls and garnish with bacon.  
**The whole family loved this.  Its not proper manners, but when I do a smooth soup like this I just put the kids' in coffee mugs and let them drink it with straws.  


PASTA E FAGIOLI
½ lb lean ground beef
½ c carrots 
1/2 c celery
½ c diced onion
2 t minced garlic
15 oz can great northern beans, undrained
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1 c water
1 T vinegar
1 ½ t salt
1 t Italian seasonings
1 c small shell pasta

Preparation: 
In soup pot, brown beef along with onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Drain.  Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT pasta. Simmer for 30 minutes. Cook pasta separately. Add to soup and simmer. 
***Another family favorite, especially for Collin, who feels anything with a tomato base in it should be smeared everywhere to try to dye himself and his high chair orange.  :-)  

No comments: