Image and video hosting by TinyPic

August 22, 2010

Remembrance Run 5k

This morning I sent Brad and Sophia off to church while I headed to Pleasant Hill for my second 5k. This one was sponsored by Iowa Remembers and was to honor all the fallen soldiers from Iowa. Their goal is to assisted the families of wounded or fallen soldiers from our great state.

After a great welcome and prayer they did a roll call of all the soldiers we have lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course when they read off Josh and Danny's names I got teary-eyed. The best part of this race was that they had put up a marker for each one of those soldiers along the race course. It was really touching. The worst part of this race, of course, was the weather. Sunny, 86, and 65% humidity. Unfortunately, this slowed me down. So for race #2 in my 5k "career" I came in at 34:33. Not horrible, but three minutes slower than last time. Either way, it was for a good cause and helped to remind me once again of the freedoms that we enjoy and those men and women fight for each and every day.

Josh's marker

No comments: