My previous post "He Ate How Much" has received some attention recently as an example of poor parenting choices. I have been attacked for feeding my child Lucky Charms and McDonalds and even accused of setting him up for a life of obesity and health problems. Someone even had the audacity to suggest that there was something "wrong" with him to be able to eat that much and still only weigh 13 pounds. While its true we haven't ruled out anything actually being wrong with him, I just assume he is like Brad and I as kids. We both easily polished off multiple adult servings in a sitting without ever gaining any weight. (Too bad that didn't stick around!!) Its been amazing to me to see how up in arms these women have gotten over a snapshot of one day's eating. Some suggested that he should have gone without eating over eating that crap. One suggested feeding him nuggets instead because those are made of chicken and beef is bad for babies. Another was just upset that I fed him onions. Its a good thing she doesn't know he eats peppers, onions, garlic, and a variety of other strong flavors weekly.
In the end, both of my kids eat an extremely well balanced diet with an occasional day of crap or treats thrown in. Would I ever feed them McDonalds every day? Not unless that was truly our only option other than starving. Would I feed myself McDonalds every day? Its a possibility. But that's the difference. I'm an adult and can make my own decisions while weighing the risks (hello, a Pepsi every day anyone). When it comes to making decisions for my kids I do my best most of the time, but everyone slacks off occasionally.
What it all boils down to is mommy wars. Formula or breastmilk, working or staying home, cloth diapering or disposables. Some women feel the need to bash others to make them feel better about their own decisions. Those of us that are confident in our decisions, though, can just laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Here's to hoping the mommies reading fall into the confident category no matter what you choose to feed your kids (within reason of course)!

No comments:
Post a Comment