Image and video hosting by TinyPic

June 1, 2012

Boo for a fever, but yea for growth

Poor little Collin woke up from his afternoon nap early yesterday and was running a fever.  We started the Tylenol/Motrin alternating dosages and it went down a little, but not a lot.  I attributed it to teething and we went about our evening.  Unfortunately, he had a HORRIBLE night and only Sophia managed to sleep.  By morning his fever was up to 101.7.  While his fever wasn't necessarily alarming, he just wouldn't quit fussing even when nursing, and wouldn't eat so I decided we better get him in to see the doctor before the weekend was here.  Our pediatric clinic was full, but my family physician had an opening so we took him in.  He did see some fluid on his ears, but wouldn't call it a full on ear infection quite yet.  He gave us a written prescription and suggested we keep up the Tylenol/Motrin and see where we were at on Sunday.  If the fever is still there then we will start the antibiotics, otherwise we will chalk it up to a virus and/or teething.  I love how conservative he is while still being concerned!  He also calculated the appropriate dosages for us and I was shocked to see that the bottle has us giving him only 1/4 teaspoon, but he can actually have between 1/2-3/4 teaspoon.  No wonder his fever wasn't going down!!

In much more positive news, Collin has grown!  He has put on just over 2 pounds and grown just shy of 2 whole inches in six short weeks!!  That puts him right back on track with his curve (just below, but parallel to the typical growth curve)!  It is actually typical to grow roughly 1/2 inch per month between 6 and 12 months so he blew that statistic out of the water!

 So while I am sad that he isn't feeling well, I'm happy that we got to see some great growth!

No comments: