Its amazing to me that I have gone this long eating dairy free without searching out a ranch dressing recipe, but somehow I did. I guess I just figured it would be nearly impossible to find one that tasted anything close to the real thing. This weekend a friend mentioned finding one that was egg, dairy, and gluten free so I set out to find one as well. Her's uses tofu, but I found one that used things I already had in the pantry/fridge. As I usually do, I combined a few different recipes to get exactly what I wanted and this is what I came up with.
Basic dry ranch dressing mix:
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon thyme
Mix together and store in an airtight container.
To made dressing:
1 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk (1 cup plain almond milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar)
Above dry mix
Mix thoroughly and enjoy. I did discover that putting it all into a sealed container and then shaking the ever loving heck out of it worked best. ****I remember growing up and shaking until my arms were about to fall off whenever my mom made homemade dressing. I also remember the container slipping out of my grasp one time and sailing through the glass of our front door....oops. My parents' house still sports the plexiglass replacement window to this day. :-)
To make dip:
8-10 ounces diary free sour cream
Above dry mix
Mix together and enjoy. ****For those that are local, apparently Campbell's Nutrition carries Toffuti Sour Supreme, which I hear is the best substitute. I fully intend to buy some to test out the next time we are in that neighborhood!

1 comment:
Penzey's Spices sells a Buttermilk Ranch dressing mix that lists the ingredients as just the spices-nothing looked like dairy to me. I love the taste-we sprinkle it on chicken, mix with sour cream or mayo for dip/dressing. yummy. Just wanted to share. Here's the link: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysbuttermilk.html Penzey's is next to Jason's Deli in WDM.
Post a Comment