Image and video hosting by TinyPic

December 11, 2012

Is Santa Real?

This morning on our way to play at the mall Sophia piped up from the backseat with this question.  My automatic response was "What do you think?", which did not go over well.  She was insistent that I tell her.  I stalled as long as I could, but we have been doing a lot of talking about what is real (us, her friends, her teachers) and what is pretend (cartoons, Disney princesses) so she really wanted an answer.  I have to admit, it felt wrong lying to her, but I didn't want to get into my whole "Santa is the magic part of Christmas and signifies how we should be loving and giving" spiel without first discussing it with Brad.  So, I told her that he was real.  Then she wanted to know if he died would we stop getting presents.  Crud!!!!  So, I had to explain that Santa was magical so he couldn't ever die (his spirit never can, right?).  Thankfully, at that moment my mom called and saved me from a more in-depth conversation.  Looks like Brad and I will be discussing what to tell her soon, though, as she is just too smart to not question me again.

She knows that the reason we celebrate Christmas is because that is when we choose to celebrate the birth of Jesus.  She knows the story from the Bible, and knows who Mary and Joseph are.  She's even mastered the concept that God is His Father and Mary is His mother, even though Joseph helps raise him.  I thought we were doing good with all of that.  I figured we could just speak of Santa kind of generally and not make a big deal out of it and get by.  Guess I was wrong.  Seriously, how did this kid get so smart?!

No comments: