Since I'm on this no dairy thing I've been looking up new recipes....can you tell? My latest two are banana bread and dinner biscuits.
DAIRY FREE BANANA BREAD:
Makes 2 loaves
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
3 T water
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup dairy-free buttermilk (1 cup almond, soy, or rice milk mixed with 1 tablespoon white vinegar; let sit 5-10 minutes)
Preheat over to 350 and spray two 8-inch baking pans with dairy-free baking spray.
Combine margarine, sugar, banana, and water. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the margarine-banana mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Pour into the prepared pans and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Cool completely before slicing.
I halved this recipe as I didn't want to make two loaves before knowing if we would like it. The flavor was great, although mine didn't set up well and actually baked for 70 minutes and still could have used a bit longer. I'll definitely be making the full recipe next time. I still like my usual banana bread recipe, which can be made dairy free, a little better, but this one was good as well.
_________________________________________________
DAIRY FREE DINNER BISCUITS
Makes 8 biscuits
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 t granulated sugar
1/2 t salt
3/4-1 cup soy, rice, or almond milk
2 T dairy-free margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 425 and spray cookie sheet with non-dairy cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt with a wire whisk. Add the soy milk slowly, stirring with a rubber spatula until the dough just comes together and isn't too sticky. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 12-15 times until the dough is soft and smooth.
Pat the dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter make 8 rounds, rerolling as necessary. (I used a kitchen glass as I don't have a biscuit cutter.)
Brush the surface of each biscuit with melted dairy-free margarine and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
These were delicious even without butter on them at the table. I'll definitely be making them again.

No comments:
Post a Comment