Off to the mall we went to meet some members of our mommy group for some play time and lunch. After a good hour in the play area we headed to grab lunch. I had Chipotle for the first time and was impressed by their dairy free options. The food was great, too! After lunch we did a little shopping and headed for home.
That's when it all changed! We got home to find a message on the answering machine. "Sweet," I thought, "Sophia's culture results must be in." Indeed, Dr Beebe left us a message letting us know her ear culture grew Pseudomonas. Unfortunately, the best way to treat that is with drops. Which means cleaning out the ears first and then putting in drops twice a day. That is where the torture began. I tried to be a good mommy, I really did. I gave Sophia the option to sit or lay while I cleaned out her ears. She was not having it. After a ten minute struggle I ended up doing the unthinkable and sat on top of my child, pinning her down so I could clean out her ear. By the end of the battle we were both in tears and sweating, but I had gotten two GIANT globs of nastiness out of her ear. After an extended potty break, in which she sat there for another 10 minutes insisting she had to go as a stall tactic, I once again gave her her options. Once again I had to resort to pinning her down to do the drops.
I'm honestly not sure who fared worse. Once the deed was done and I turned on some Scooby for her to watch she was back to normal. I, however, am still shaken up thinking about how I tortured my child and will have the task of doing it again twice a day until this thing is cleared up. Tell me I didn't scar my child for life! Please, somebody, anybody!!
What a day for my husband to be gone!

2 comments:
You're not horrible. I have to do nearly the same thing every day to patch Chance's eye, and I'm sure doing drops in it after his tear duct surgery will be the same thing, only 3 times a day. Scooby does seem to fix a lot-especially if paired with Scooby fruit snacks.
You did not scar your daughter for life. A few minutes, maybe--- but not life. Think about the alternative, the infection not getting better and it causing damage to her hearing. Sorry you had the sad task of going through it on your birthday. On the plus side, at least it wasn't Sophia's birthday! AND... Brad will be home tomorrow! Maybe you needed TWO birthday sodas this year.
Post a Comment