Early last week Collin decided that he didn't want to nap and was going to show us how angry he was by throwing his pacifier out of his crib. I waited my usual 10 minutes and when he hadn't calmed down I went in, soothed him, and gave him back his pacifier. He immediately threw it out of the crib and started yelling again. So I decided he didn't need it.
That night we did our normal bedtime routine, but instead of putting the pacifier in his mouth, I simply laid it beside him in the crib. He didn't immediately put it in, but he also didn't throw it out of the crib. I have no idea if he ended up putting it in after I left the room, but it wasn't in when I went back in to check on him. For nap the next day I did the same thing, but he threw it out of the crib once again. So, that was the end of the pacifier.
Its now been over a week and he hasn't asked for it even once, even when he can see it on the dresser. Its kind of bittersweet as the pacifier really makes me think of him as a baby and now he's not. At this point he doesn't have any other "lovey" object either. We have tried offering him his blanket that Close Grandma made, but he absolutely hates to be covered up so that is a no go. We also have an elephant and a glowing seahorse that plays lullabies in his crib, but he is indifferent to both of those as well. I guess its all for the better as we won't have to worry about struggling to replace a lovey if it should get lost.

1 comment:
Way to make giving up the paci easy, Collin! Ellie does not have a 'lovey' either, it has been a good thing for us lately.
Post a Comment