The prep took me maybe 15 minutes, and that was with helpers, and the end result was absolutely amazing!! Below is the recipe with the changes I made in parentheses.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups cake flour (1 1/2 cups all purpose flour minus 3 tablespoons, plus 3 tablespoons cornstarch)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter (Blue Bonnet Light, of course, to keep it dairy free)
1 cup buttermilk (1 tablespoon white vinegar, fill the rest of the cup with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, let sit 5 minutes)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and cook 30 seconds longer.
In a small mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, and egg. Add to dry ingredients and beat just until combined. Add in chocolate and vanilla. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Mine took roughly 37, but I never let my oven preheat all the way since I have no patience.) Cool completely on a wire rack.
FROSTING:
This frosting absolutely made the cake and I will be using this from now on regardless of what cake/cupcake/etc I am making.
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 teaspooons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup hot coffee (you can use hot water too, but I'm sure it just wouldn't be the same flavor)
4 1/2 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and chocolate. Stir in the cofee until blended. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium and cook and stir until mixture is thickened. (Just when you think it will never thicken up it becomes the perfect consistency so don't give up!) Remove from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Spread warm frosting over cake.
By spreading it warm the frosting went on beautifully and I avoided the uneven frosting that I despise!
| My trusty helpers ready to go |
| Fresh, warm frosting! |
| Sophia doesn't believe any desert is complete without some sprinkles! |

No comments:
Post a Comment