This winter we went over to a friends house to have a morning of baking and decorating cookies and she introduced me to her "No Fail Sugar Cookies". I've honestly been thinking about them pretty much weekly since then, but had not gotten around to making them. Well, yesterday I decided it was a baking day. Unfortunately, I was out of baking soda so we had to put it off until today. In the end, I made two dozen sugar cookie balls to freeze, two dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookie balls to freeze, and also baked about a dozen between the two kinds. I'm also waiting for some bananas to brown a bit more and will be freezing some banana bread. I figure I won't be doing a lot of freezer meals before baby comes, but having some easy deserts on hand will be so nice! I'm even going to get some apple crisp ready for my wonderful husband.
So, on to the recipe! It came from my friend Angie, who's amazing cooking blog can be found here: http://picklemomskitchen.blogspot.com/
These don't spread out much so you can fit quite a few on the pan. They turn out pretty light and fluffy as well.
1 1/4 C sugar
1C butter
____________ cream those together on high speed until they're really fluffy - it makes a difference.
3 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla
___________ add those in one yolk at a time
mix the following in a bowl:
2 1/2 C flour (I used half white and half white whole wheat flour)
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
________________ then add those to the wet mix.
It's a little dry looking but it sticks together. Use your hands or a cookie scoop to make little balls about the size of a walnut. Then roll them in sugar. (or not)
Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Don't flatten.
Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes, until the top starts to crack and they're just turning a little golden.

No comments:
Post a Comment