After the weeks of sorrow around here we are finally getting back into somewhat of a routine. We are still working on finding our new "normal", but we'll get there.
In light of that, I'm back reading. We took a weekend trip up to see Brad's parents and the trip up was the perfect time to dive into a new book. I, of course, was hooked and ended up finishing it while we were up there.
So, book number four for 2011 was Always Jan by Roxanne Henke. I have never read this author, but after this book I'll be looking for more of her. It was a fabulous book written from the viewpoint of four different people. The main character, Jan, was feeling her age at 43 and began obsessing over her looks and getting plastic surgery to remain young. She was frustrated when all her friends and family couldn't see how "old" she looked. Days before her scheduled surgery she developed a case of Bells Palsy and surgery had to be cancelled. Throughout her healing process she realized that beauty is not on the outside, but on the inside, as her friends had been telling her all along. This was considered an inspirational book and did have some scripture and underlying religious tones, but it wasn't overly preachy, which I appreciated. Especially on the eve of a big birthday it really made me take a step back and look at myself from the inside instead of the outside. While I'm not ready to ditch the hairspray and makeup it does make me glad I have been more open with my beliefs than I used to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment